Permaculture Design Course
72 hours Permaculture Design Certificate
Bookings open now for all 2022 PDCs!!
8th - 20th February 2022
at Monte Velho retreat centre, Algarve, Portugal
15th - 29th April 2022
28th May - 11th June 2022
11th July - 24th July 2022
22nd August - 4th September 2022
at Pachawa retreat centre, Alentejo, Portugal
Building soil – Building community – Building resilience
No previous experience is required! Just openness and willingness to become part fo the regeneration movement!
Permaculture is a design method for sustainable human settlements that aims at integrating human activities in fully functioning ecosystems able to self regulate and support Life in all its forms.
Its core ethics are Care for the Earth, Care for the People and Fair Share and its principles allow us to live a regenerative life and can be applied to any environment, from small apartments to big lands to entire countries. Most importantly, Permaculture is a real philosophy of life that can support you as an individual to make conscious choices to reconnect to a true way of living. You are not separate from what is around you and stepping back into the web of life is the best choice we can make!
What is a Permaculture Design Course?
This is a 72 hours certified course that covers all aspects of Permaculture as detailed by Bill Mollison (co-founder of the movement and author of "Permaculture: a designer's manual"). The course will touch all elements required to design a complete human settlement and will include topics such as food production, resource management, project
management, soil, agroforestry, animal systems, appropriate technology, people systems and social Permaculture.
The course will include a final design project and the handover of the PDC certificate upon completion and presentation of the final design.
During the course, we will explore the following topics:
INTRODUCTION TO PERMACULTURE
• Permaculture: Evidence that we need to act - Ethics & Principles
• Concepts and themes in design: Natural ecosystems - Web of life - Yield and Resource -
• Design Methods: Observation - Analysis of elements - Flow analysis - Maps & data overlay - Zones & sectors - Slope & aspect - Guilds - Scale of permanence
• Patterns: Understanding natural patterns and how to use the in design
TREES, WATER, SOIL & ENERGY
• Climatic factors: Main climatic zones and their characteristics - Climatic factors - Climatic effects Landscape profiles
• Trees: Trees and their role in the ecosystem
• Water: Water cycle - Water in the landscape - Strategies for water management
• Soils: Soil composition - Soil management - Compost - Nutrient management and closed loops - Animals in the landscape
• Earthworks: Design - Tools - Types of earthworks (swales, dams etc..)
• Agroforestry & Food Forests: Natural forests and natural succession - Food forests - Layers - Greening the Desert
• Appropriate Technology: Renewable energy - Compost toilets - Eco-buildings - Waste management
DESIGN STRATEGIES AND SOCIAL PERMACULTURE
• Climates: Strategies for different climates
• Social Permaculture: Project management - Group dynamics - Non-violent communication - Local economies - Community living & Ecovillages
All students will do a group project simulating the design for a client. The project will be presented at the end of the course and will be a great opportunity for the student to metabolise the newly-acquired knowledge and receive feedback from the teacher
The PDC of February will be held in a family run, self-sustaining retreat centre with a strong passion for reconnecting its visitors with nature. It is dedicated to hosting retreats that promote healthy living and the education of sustainable living. The Monte Velho retreat centre has been putting a strong effort into establishing a full regenerative project on the land including renewable energies, water management, reforestation, food production, animal management and much more!
Click here to know more about Monte Velho!
The other PDCs will be held at the Pachawa retreat centre in the Alentejo region of Portugal. This is an emerging, family owned centre which has been focusing growing from scratch on the last two years. This is a great opportunity to see what it means to kickstart a permaculture project, while also being able to see some of the systems which have already been implemented. Some of the thing you will be able to see and work on are food production systems, grey water systems, natural building, animals, food forest and reforestation.
For tent space (bring your own tent):
600 euros early bird price (early bird expires two months before the beginning of the course)
750 euros full price
For private accommodation, send me an email and we can see what is available!
For the PDC of February only, costs are:
Shared suite accommodation
Double suite accommodation
If you join the PDC in Monte Velho, also join me for the yoga and permaculture retreat happening from the 3rd to the 8th of February! Click here for more info
- Full accommodation
- 3 meals a day
- Access to showers and facilities
- International Permaculture Design Certificate upon completion of the course
- Practical workshops
- Opportunity to spend time on a site that I have personally developed! You will experience what it means to implement a Permaculture project and maintain it!
- Stunning surroundings and beautiful places to visit on your free time
Want to join?
Fill in the form at the end of this page and send me a message to book your spot!